Wednesday, March 9, 2016

cold brew /// a recipe



ever since becoming pregnant with theo, i have turned from a devout hot-coffee-only consumer to an iced coffee gal. even during the months when i couldn't drink much caffeine due to breastfeeding, i would still crave a decaf iced coffee. last year, my good friend, annie, introduced me to her favorite cold brew recipe, and i have been stuck on it ever since. my stipulation for a good recipe for anything is that it must be simple and yummy - and this cold brew is just that.

i have a handy glass carafe that i use, but a simple large mason jar or even a french press would work fine for this recipe.



the recipe makes enough for a couple of servings, but if you're like me, you'll want to double or triple it for consumption over a few days, for sharing, or to simply binge drink when your child refuses to nap.



what you'll need:
glass container
cheesecloth for straining
2/3 cup dark roast, coarsely ground coffee of your choice (i enjoy peet's coffee - their decaf is legit)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
a dash or two of cinnamon 
3 cups water

combine all ingredients in glass container and let brew in the fridge overnight. in the morning, strain the coffee. store in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. 

i love drinking my cold brew with some crunchy ice and whole milk. enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. Love this! Going to try as soon as I find some cheese cloth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post on instagram and I'm so glad you like it!!!!

      Delete
  2. 2/3 cup of grounds? That seems like so much! Am I misinterpreting it or is that right? I've never had cold brew and really want to try it, but if you have to use that much it seems like it will get costly for me. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2/3 cup is correct! it sounds like a lot, but you're making a strong concentrate that will be "diluted" with ice and cream when served. it is more pricey to make than regular coffee, so maybe it can be more of a treat than an everyday thing.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I love Cold Brew! I'll have to try this recipe once I'm not preggo anymore :P Thanks for sharing!

    xo Raina
    www.themamaqueen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! Trying this tonight! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete