Monday, March 7, 2016

facial care routine - for acne prone skin


Ever since I can remember, my skin has had issues. I felt I was never without a breakout or two or three. my skin got a little better in my early twenties, but adult acne hit full force by my mid-twenties. hashtag unfair. I had some hormonal imbalances that led to quite a myriad of issues; one of which was borderline cystic acne. I read every article and tried (nearly) every trick known to man to clear up my skin, but nothing seemed to help. in october/november of 2014, after spending $200 on the latest "acne banishing skin care line" which just made my skin worse, I decided that something had to give. so I stopped washing my face. yep. within 1-2 weeks, my skin began clearing up. I held my breath for months expecting my breakouts to return, but they didn't. and they haven't. my skin is so not perfect, and yes, I do get a breakout here and there. but it is absolutely nothing like the constant acne I had had most of my life. 



over a year later, my routine is still very similar to what I started back in late 2014. I have changed up a few things here and there based on my skin's needs as the seasons change. 

my facial care routine for acne prone skin: 

// gently remove makeup with a warm, soft cloth (i use these or these). remove eye makeup with a cotton pad + jojoba oil (or other oil).

// apply some thayers rose petal witch hazel to a cotton pad to finish removing any leftover makeup and to tone the skin. this witch hazel is a wonderful toner sans alcohol, so it isn't drying like most toners. I really feel that this is a key step. 

// moisturize with a simple, non-comedogenic oil. because my skin had so many breakouts, I chose jojoba oil (there are many others that would work just fine) and I added a couple drops of oregano essential oil to 2 ounces of the jojoba oil. oregano essential oil is antiviral and antibacterial - perfect for helping clear up breakouts. it is also considered a "hot" oil, so please use caution when applying to the skin.

the key with this regime is to give your skin a break from chemicals and comedogenic oils. many people use coconut oil because it is cheap and trendy, but it does clog pores for most people. 

in addition to this routine, I also lead a fairly healthy lifestyle. I eat clean most of the time. I have eliminated all parabens from my skincare and makeup. I drink a decent amount of water every day. I avoid soy products. blah blah blah

I will share more about my current skin care routine at another time. a lot of it is the same, but i've changed a couple of things as my skin doesn't have as many breakouts and tends to be dry now (especially post baby). for those of you battling skin issues like I have or for those searching for a simple and clean skincare routine, I hope this has inspired you. 

3 comments:

  1. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance. หน้าใสไร้สิว

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makeup really is an art type that can be used to reverse the signs of aging. A rightly made up canvas can hide a huge number of sins, helping to even out skin"
    skin care experts microcurrent face lift

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here.Vinanza Grape I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete